Springboks vs All Blacks – Update
No sooner had Danie Rossouw commented on how happy he was to be playing in his 50th Test on Saturday against the All Blacks, when he picked up a calf strain and is now in doubt. [Thanks Matt]
Flip Van Der Merwe has been called up to replace Bakkies Botha but may find himself on the bench come Saturday if Danie does not recover in time. Andries Bekker would more than likely replace Danie in the starting team.
As good as Andries (awesome mutton chops) Bekker has been this year, he is more in the mould of Matfield and we need a player like Danie to be our enforcer and match the physicality of guys like Brad thorn.
Apparently the training fields in Hamilton are very damp and Graham Henry has told of how many of his players are complaining of stiff calves due to the heavy, slow fields.
It looks like it is going to rain on Friday and Saturday, which may actually favour the Bokke. Waikato generally has a wet climate, which is not ideal for running rugby but perfect for dairy-farming!
Other interesting Hamilton factoids:
- The local rugby team is the Chiefs
- The provincial mascot is Mooloo, an anthropomorphic cow.
- Hamilton annually hosts the National Agricultural Fieldays at Mystery Creek, the southern hemisphere’s biggest agricultural trade exhibition.
- In 2004, Hamilton City Council honored former resident Richard O’Brian with a life-size bronze statue of him as Riff Raff in his space suit, from The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Hamilton is also known as the birthplace of the Rocky horror Picture Show
Pack you bags honey… we are going!